Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Welcome!

In deciding to write a blog about food in State College, the first question I had to ask myself was, “What do I know about food?” I know I like to eat it. I know some places have better food than others. In a world of blogging, tweeting, and Facebook updates, that seemed to be enough. With food critics delving into the how and why of good food, I thought, “Why not just tell people what’s good?” It’s entirely subjective and based upon my preferences but the good news is that I have a very open palate and an even pickier wife.

With that in mind, I ran through the list of meals and places I’ve had them in the State College area and decided that, yes, there were at least enough meals and I’ve eaten at enough places to fill some pages of a blog. Maybe not many yet but the fun part comes when I start soliciting suggestions from the readers about what I haven’t had or where I haven’t been. It’ll probably expand outside the State College area. I may even include some local bars and the beverages they supply. I’ll even keep the language clean. And I’ll even have a guest spot for my wife though she may not write the pieces and I’ll just have to quote or paraphrase her.

But what else can I offer here? What more would people like to read? Thinking about this, I decided I would also highlight allergen-conscious restaurants when possible. Having a wife that potentially has food allergies and is also a vegetarian (save for seafood), I factor that in to the restaurants I eat at so it’s safe to assume, for the most part, that the eateries featured will either have gluten-free and/or vegetarian dishes. I’ll also try to note if they don’t and she just stared at me while I ate. (That doesn’t happen often.)

I’ll also welcome the input of past and present residents and visitors of State College. I’ll edit these as I see fit (i.e. if restaurant recommendations include ones that no longer exist, etc.). But it’s always helpful to have input because it may trigger something I’ve forgotten or blocked out. Send those to statecollegefood@gmail.com.

Enjoy and bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment